Many older adults typically prefer settling into one place for their entire retirement, even when their medical needs change. This is because having to transition from place to place can be a stressful experience, especially if you or your loved one has already grown accustomed to a particular community. Well, choosing a continuing care retirement community in Alabama may just be your solution, as it combines assisted living, independent living, and nursing home options into one place, so that you can continue staying where you are, even if your level of care required fluctuates overtime!
What are the Levels of Care in CCRCs?
In many community care retirement communities (CCRCs), the main goal is to ensure the resident can carry on living as independently as they would like for as long as possible. Should you or your loved one then require greater levels of care somewhere down the line, a continuum of care services will be available to accommodate their needs.
In general, most CCRCs in Alabama like ours offer the following levels of care:
- Independent senior living (for mostly active individuals)
- Assisted senior living (for retirees who require a bit more help with everyday tasks)
- Memory care (for those with dementia or related memory impairments)
To decide on which level of care you might need to transition towards during your stay in a CCRC, you may consider factors like your current level of independence, pre-existing medical or mobility issues you may encounter, and more.
One thing’s for sure: You’ll be able to make the transition with ease, as team members will be on hand to ensure that your level of comfort is maintained even as you shift to a different level of care.
Amenities to Expect in a CCRC
There are hundreds of CCRCs in the state of Alabama and many of them offer various amenities to suit your social, entertainment, medical needs and more.
Most CCRCs provide the following programs and amenities:
- Dining options with freshly prepared meals that suit your dietary needs
- Gyms and Swimming pools
- Scheduled trips to the mall, theater, park, and more
- Social activities like game night
Apart from these, some CCRCs will provide recreational features like tennis courts, golf courses, yoga sessions, and more. Additionally, access to religious services is made easy with free transportation provided to get you to and from your destination, so that your spiritual needs can be met.
If you require medical assistance outside of the community’s scope, CCRCs are usually located close to hospitals where you can go for care services such as physical therapy sessions with ease.
How to Choose a CCRC
When looking for the right CCRC for you, here are some things to look out for:
- Levels of care: does the CCRC offer care levels and services which cater to your daily needs?
- Team members: What kind of professionals are available on-site? What training have they received?
- Accreditation: Has the CCRC been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities? This signals out a community which has demonstrated a commitment to continually improving services, encouraging feedback, and serving its clients.
In short, CCRCs are the all-in-one retirement option where you find the optimal level of care for you depending on your individual needs and preferences.