Why should retirement age individuals celebrate Mardi Gras? Answer: Because they can! Don’t think for one minute that if you celebrate Mardi Gras with seniors, it will be anything less than a wild and crazy time. People in their golden years know how to celebrate. They’ve had lots of practice!
Mardi Gras is a time for partying and celebrating and letting your hair down – even if you don’t have much hair left. The wearing of masks lets everyone pretend, just a little bit, that they are free to enjoy life a little more than they might ordinarily allow themselves – and why not? It’s Mardi Gras!
The Fun Before the Celebration
Even before the party commences, a Mardi Gras celebration can be a time for socializing and enjoyment. Decorations, masks, and more can be made during arts and crafts time. The actual decorating will need to be accomplished the day before the party, as well.
Don’t forget the music, the beads, feathers, the masks, and props to pose with so you can take lots of pictures. These pictures, and some mementos, can be assembled in a scrapbook so that everyone can remember the great time they had for years to come.
Scrapbooking is another awesome opportunity for socialization, creativity, and fun.
Retirement Community Residents Tell It like It Is
You don’t have to believe us when we tell you that retirement age individuals should celebrate Mardi Gras. You can hear it right from the mouths of the people in the community who love their Mardi Gras celebrations:
- “Oh, it’s fantastic! This is the perfect time for us to use some of the skills we’ve acquired through the decades, and we can all have lots of fun. It’s a great opportunity for all of us to get together and enjoy life and each other.”
- “People come here for social interaction. It’s a great way to break up the day. New friendships are formed, and the food is always fantastic!”
- “Hey, just because we’re older doesn’t mean we don’t know how to have fun! We don’t all just do nothing and sit around staring out the window. We are still young enough to participate in parties, dances, festivals, and all sorts of exciting get-togethers. We KNOW how to party!”
Why Are Festivals Important?
Though many people need absolutely no reason whatsoever to celebrate, festivals do play a very important part in the lives of individuals all over the world. Just because someone is in their golden years doesn’t mean that the time for partying is over. Quite the contrary, in fact.
Here are some of the reasons why festivals and other celebrations are so important:
- Helps preserve our heritage and culture.
- In some instances, people can become more familiar with various religions.
- Celebrations and festivals promote communal harmony.
- To the present and even to the future, messages of past generations are carried over.
- Get-togethers such as these promote harmony.
- The celebrations keep us closer to our traditions and religion.
Rejoice the special emotions and moments in your life by participating in a Mardi Gras celebration with loved ones and friends. These types of festivals play a crucial role in connecting people with different backgrounds and families, and in adding structure to their social lives.
Celebrate Mardi Gras in Style at Regency Pointe
At Regency Pointe, a retirement community by Discovery Senior Living, we not only encourage socialization, but we also provide numerous opportunities through special events like parties, dances, game nights, concerts, and other community activities.
If you’d like to see what we have to offer and view one of our activity schedules for yourself, contact us to schedule a tour. You can also reach us with general questions by phoning 256.456.0016, or with leasing and sales inquiries, please phone 256.269.1919. We look forward to speaking with you.